Friday, October 16, 2009

sweat and tears

Some people cry at the gym because they are working out really hard and pushing themselves....others...when they least expect it. I was watching the Hannah Montana movie in the gym theatre while on the eliptical when Miley Cyrus began to sing a song called "Butterfly Fly Away". Blame the tears on the female hormones that get an extra boost from my birth control...but this song made me think of my mother and how amazing she is. The older I get the more I really understand the sacrifices she made for me and my siblings as a single mother and the happiness she brought to our lives. It couldn't have been easy raising us, we were not the little angel children parents dream of having. I started to think of the memories I have of my mother singing me to sleep or how we would beg her to leave our door open so we could hear her play the piano downstairs until we fell asleep or how when people in elementary and jr. high used to ask who my best friend was I would say my mom. ( which was so true). Her cooking was amazing and she allowed us to be free spirits and always encouraged us to "go for it", if it wasn't for her I would have ever sang in my school talent shows which are some of my favorite school memories. She without fail would squirt water in my face if I wasn't getting up for seminary, which I hated but am so glad I made it to seminary because of it because that is where my testimony grew so strong. She was always taking us on an adventure. A hike or to the beach or road trips. My mom got a paper route to make ends meet and I remember getting a doughnut every morning and singing with each other while we drove the streets of Martinez lobbing papers. And the memories that mean the most to me are the ones when I was going through troubles of my own and my mother was there for me without fail....with a shoulder to cry on and the best advice and she never gave up on me. Even with all of the heartbreak and stress my mother has had in her life , she has taught every one of us kids how to enjoy and love life. I can't think of a better example of an upbeat vivacious person....even in her 50s she has more energy than me. I was a bit overwhelmed with the memories and gratitude I felt for my mother while listening to this song and therefore had some tears leak down my cheeks. Good thing that is a dark room. I love my mother with all my heart and am so happy she was picked to be my mom. Heavenly father sure does know what he's doing! I thank my mom for giving me my appreciation for our life here on earth and the oppertunities we have to live, love, learn and grow. I will never take it for granted because of what she has taught me.

I am eternally greatful to you mom!

I put the song on my playlist so you all can hear it




6 comments:

Betsy said...

Sweet Megan. I hope I can be a mom like that for my kids =0).

Dana said...

megan...i am sitting here at my computer now with tears running down MY cheeks after listening to that song and reading that beautiful tribute to your mom! you gave a beautiful and true description of her and it really touched me! i am proud of you megan, for the beautiful young lady you have become, and i'm so happy for you to have found a loving husband in dave...you make a great pair! love you! aunt dana xo

Aubrey said...

awww, i love this post. you are the sweetest daughter!

David and Megan said...

well now I am in tears again!! Love you aunt Dana!!

Cami and Juan said...

I too have cried in the Gold's Gym theater room. I don't remember the movie. Your mother sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

Awesome comments and observations. Your mother is an awesome person, beautiful inside and out. She is a hard worker and so much fun. Vibrant is a great word for her. I know you comments mean allot.
GREAT JOB!
Lowell