Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gaurdian Angels

Well here it goes.....recently Dave and I have gone through something pretty heartbreaking and I have had a few days now to try and learn how to cope with it and I think it helps to just talk about it....rather than ignore the world and pretend like nothing happened.

Dave and I got back from Paris on cloud nine and I thought life couldn't get any better. We had just had the time of our lives, our little one was growing, Dave had received interview offers from 7 med schools and we were head over heals in love with each other. A few days later we went in for my 18 week checkup at the clinic. Our Dr. took my vitals and samples and said everything looked great and that we should schedule an ultrasound to see what our little one was...a boy or a girl. Then it was time to use the doppler and hear that precious little heartbeat we had hear just a few weeks previous. She kept moving the doppler around on my stomach and telling me to relax so it would work...1 minute turned into two....two minutes turned into four and still we couldn't find a heart beat. I was scared but kept telling myself the doppler is just stupid machine. So my Dr. went right over to her computer and asked if I would have time today to go straight to the hospital to get an ultrasound....I said yes and started to ball but was still hoping for the best. As we got to the hospital I was trying really hard not to cry....I was so worried. We went into the first room which had multiple beds and machines seperated by curtains....I kept looking at the T.V. at our little baby while the first nurse took an ultrasound and felt so much love for it. I was amazed at how big it was all ready and relieved to just be able to see our little one finally, even if there was no heartbeat. I wasn't oblivious that our nurse was silent until she asked us to move into a seperate room......it was just us sitting there in a dark room now in solitude. Another nurse came in and took a look at the baby again. She measured it and explained to us that the baby had swelling around it's head and had passed away a few weeks earlier (shortly after our last appointment where we heard the heart beat). I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. Sweet dave held me as I tearfully asked the nurse for a picture to keep. Then the Doctor came in to confirm that our little one had gone to heaven sooner than we had hoped and what would happen next. We have never been so heartbroken in our life. I know miscarriages are common....but I thought being 18 weeks along I was in the clear and was oh so excited to be a mother and for Dave to be a Father. There was nothing left to do after the doctors but to cry. Dave and I held each other and we cried for the next 24 hours. Then came the hardest part....That next afternoon Dave had to catch a flight out to St. Louis for his first med school interview....I was so excited for him and greatful that we had something to look forward to and talk about after such bad news...but now I was left alone to deal with this for the next 4 days.

I am so greatful for Dave because I know I could not have made it through those 4 days if he hadn't made me the strong woman I am today. I turned to the Lord and counted my blessings. My family were angels and brought me food and hugs. My ward was great and brought me food and hugs. I was at the point where I knew I was going to be ok and felt ready to talk about it...and then Friday came. Still no word from the Dr. as to when I could go in and get a DNC...my house was spotless, and I didn't know what to do with myself....so I went to the gym. after being on the eliptical for about 2 minutes....my water broke. I ran to the bathroom and called my sister and asked her to bring me some clothes. I talked with the Dr. and then went home. I ended up passing the fetus in my own apartment, by myself, with Dave on the phone. I was in shock and shaking and greatful Dave had some Lortab to help with the contractions in the pantry. When I saw the fetus I couldn't hold back the tears. It was so developed....little fingures, a little nose.

I just want to bare my testimony that I know Heavenly Father knows each and everyone of us individually and loves us. Maybe our little one was just a faithful spirit that just needed a little body...but now they are in a happier and holy place and that brings me happiness. I cry not because I am bitter but because I was just so excited to be a mother and a family with my wonderful husband. But I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us. That we will have children here on earth one day and that now we have a little gaurdian angel to look over us now.




18 comments:

Becky said...

Megan, that is so sad. You are a very strong woman and I'm thankful for your example and strong testimony.

Tori said...

Wow Megan, what a strong girl you are. You and Dave are in my prayers. You have such strong faith. What a blessing it is to know The Plan.

Hilary said...

Megan, I'm in tears. I love you and wish I could give you a huge hug right now. You are strong. Incredibly strong, and I admire you and your faith. Please know that our family is praying for you.

Aubrey said...

oh megan. my heart is aching for you right now. i know words can't make it all better. but just know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. stay strong, you are amazing!

Cami and Juan said...

I shared this talk in one of my lessons: Jeffrey R. Holland “An High Priest of Good Things to Come” Ensign, Nov 1999. I'm telling you, it saved me. Here are the quotes I loved the most.

"Even if you cannot always see that silver lining on your clouds, God can, for He is the very source of the light you seek. He does love you, and He knows your fears. He hears your prayers. He is your Heavenly Father, and surely He matches with His own the tears His children shed.

Only one who has taken the full brunt of such adversity could ever be justified in telling us in such times to “be of good cheer.” 9 Such counsel is not a jaunty pep talk about the power of positive thinking, though positive thinking is much needed in the world. No, Christ knows better than all others that the trials of life can be very deep and we are not shallow people if we struggle with them. But even as the Lord avoids sugary rhetoric, He rebukes faithlessness and He deplores pessimism. He expects us to believe!

Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come."

I love you Megan. You are so amazing. I'm glad you had something to help with the physical pain of the miscarriage, no one talks about that part. And I'm glad Dave is back now and there with you.

erin said...

Megan. I am so sorry. I can't imagine what that was like. I am sitting here crying. When I heard that your baby passed away I was so sad for you and I couldn't stop thinking about you. I love your testimony and that you see the baby as your little guardian angel. :(

Jessica said...

Megan, my heart goes out to you and Dave. I'm thinking of you and you are in my prayers.

A.Doman said...

My sweet Meggie-cakes!! I don't know how I missed this! I'm so proud of you for sharing your testimony and staying so positive through all of this. I have balled my eyes out and hurt so much for you and yet, you have been such an example for me. It sure is comforting to know that we will never have to go through something that Heavenly Father doesn't already know about. I know that He has been watching over you and comforting you. Although you may have felt so alone, I know that you NEVER were! He has been there with you - every step of the way. I love you with all of my heart, sis! Thank you for being who you are. I hope to be like you one day :)

Betsy said...

Megan, you and Dave are lucky to have each other. I can only imagine how hard this has been for you. I am so grateful that we know the bigger picture, and that God has us under his wing. I love you and send you our love.

Betsy

Whitmer Family said...

Oh Megan, I'm so sorry! It sounds like you have a great perspective on this, you are amazing! Hang in there, things will get better...

Meredith said...

Megan, thank you so much for sharing this through your blog. You and Dave are so amazing, such a great support to each other and such a good example to the rest of us. We love you.

Lindsey Martinez said...

i felt sooo sad for you guys when i read this post!
i cant even begin to imagine what you're going through... it brought tears to my eyes. and i'm so grateful for your strength and testimony. bobby was so happy for you guys and it broke his heart to hear what had happened... you guys are definitely in our thoughts and prayers!

Janae said...

We love you so much. You and Dave are so strong and we all learn so much from you both. You will and are a wonderful mother in so many ways. You are continually in our prayers.

Alysha said...

Megan, I know at times like these its just hard and I pray for you to have peace. Keep up your faith, you are a strong woman. These lives are hard but the trials we face bring us closer to the Lord and our husbands. I sure do know that. Family and friends are here for you! You are in my prayers (and we defiantly say a lot of those!!) xoxo

Charla Ann said...

Megan, you are such an amazing daughter of God. I'm in tears. You have such an amazing heart & strength. You are in my thoughts & prayers. Thanks for sharing your testimony. I love you. :)

Nate and Heidi said...

Megan, we love you so much! Nate's exact words after reading this: "What an amazing woman". You are incredible. I am so sorry for what you've been through. We truly admire you and Dave- you are such examples. Love you!

Susie said...

We are so deeply sorry to hear that you lost your son or daughter. Our prayers of peace and comfort are with you. We know you will be parents again real soon. Thanks for sharing this wonderful touching story!!

Sommer said...

Megan, I am so sorry to heart this. My heart aches for you and Dave! And to go through so much without a hand to hold! You are so brave and amazing! My thoughts and prayers are with you!